First, let’s go over a few reasons why files might go missing on Windows 10 computers.
There are several potential causes of lost files, including:
- Accidentally deleting the files
- The files being moved or renamed by someone else
- A software bug or a crash causes the files to be lost
- A virus or other malware infecting the computer and deleting or corrupting the files
Regardless of the cause, if you’ve lost important files on your Windows 10 computer, you’ll want to try to recover them as quickly as possible.
Here are a few methods you can use to try to find lost files on your Windows 10 computer.
Check the Recycle Bin
The first thing you should do when trying to recover lost files on Windows 10 computer is to check the Recycle Bin. When you delete a file on Windows 10 computer, it’s not immediately erased from your hard drive. Instead, it’s moved to the Recycle Bin, where it stays until you either restore it or permanently delete it.
To check the Recycle Bin for your lost files, follow these steps:
- Open the Recycle Bin by double-clicking its icon on your desktop
- Scroll through the list of files and folders in the Recycle Bin to see if you can find your lost files
- If you find the files you’re looking for, you can restore them by right-clicking on them and selecting “Restore”
Use the search function
Another method you can use to try to find lost files is to use the search function. Windows 10 comes with a built-in search feature that allows you to quickly search for files and folders on your computer.
To use the search function to try to find your lost files, follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu by clicking on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of your screen
- Type the name of the file you’re looking for into the search bar
- If the file you’re looking for appears in the search results, you can click on it to open it
Use File History
If you’ve lost files on your Windows 10 computer, another potential way to recover them is to use the File History feature. File History is a built-in backup feature in Windows 10 that automatically saves copies of your files to an external drive or network location.
To use File History to try to recover lost files, follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu and type “File History” into the search bar
- Click on the “File History” result to open the File History settings
- If File History is turned on, you’ll see a list of your backed-up files and folders
- Scroll through the list to see if you can find the files you’re looking for
- If you find the files you’re looking for, you can restore them by clicking on them and then clicking the “Restore” button
Use a third-party recovery tool
If you’re unable to find your lost files using the methods above, you may need to use a third-party recovery tool. There are many recovery tools available, both free and paid, that can help you recover lost files on your Windows 10 computer.
One of the most popular recovery tools is called “Recuva.” Recuva is a free tool that can help you recover deleted files from your hard drive or external storage devices.
To use Recuva, follow these steps:
- Download and install the Recuva program on your computer
- Launch the program and follow the instructions to scan for files
- If the program finds any deleted files, you can select the ones you want to recover and then click the “Recover” button to restore them
Contact a data recovery service
If all else fails, it may be time to contact a professional data recovery service for more help. Professional data recovery services can be expensive, but they may be the only way to recover your important files if other methods have failed. Be sure to research any company you’re considering before you hire them to ensure that they are reputable and reliable.
We encourage you to read this article to learn more about the best data recovery services.
While there are no guarantees when it comes to recovering lost data, the methods outlined above should help increase your chances of success. Good luck!