Deleted text messages can be a major inconvenience, especially if they contain essential information. Fortunately, there are a number of ways to recover deleted text messages on Android for free.
Recovering deleted text messages works by scanning your device’s internal storage for traces of the deleted messages. This can be done using a variety of methods, including:
- Restoring from a backup: If you have backed up your text messages to a cloud service such as Google Drive or iCloud, you can restore them to your device.
- Using a recycle bin: Some Android devices have a built-in recycle bin for text messages. This allows you to recover deleted messages for a limited time.
- Using a third-party data recovery app: Several third-party data recovery apps are available that can help you recover deleted text messages from your Android device.
Recover deleted text messages from a Google backup
You will need a Google account and a backup of your text messages to recover deleted text messages from a Google backup.
- Open the Google Drive app on your Android device.
- Tap the three-line menu icon in the top-left corner.
- Tap “Backups.”
- Tap the name of your device.
- Under “SMS,” tap “Restore.”
- Select the backup containing the deleted text messages you want to recover.
- Tap “Restore.”
Check Your Phone’s Trash Folder
If you have recently deleted a text message from your Android phone, it may still be stored in your phone’s trash folder. To check if this is the case, open the Messages app on your device and tap the trash icon.
If the deleted message is still in your trash folder, you can tap on it and restore it to your inbox.
Use a Third-Party Recovery Tool
Several third-party recovery tools can help you recover deleted text messages from your Android phone. Many of these tools are free, but some may require a small fee.
Download and install a free Android data recovery app on your computer.
- Connect your Android device to your computer using a USB cable.
- Enable USB debugging on your Android device.
- Launch the Android data recovery app on your computer.
- Select the type of data you want to recover, such as “Messages.”
- Click “Scan.”
- Preview the deleted text messages that you want to heal.
- Click “Recover.”
There are also applications on Android.
Avoid using unverified third-party apps. These apps can often be malicious and may lead to data loss—only download apps from trusted sources, such as the Google Play Store.
Here are some tips for preventing the loss of text messages in the future:
- Back up your text messages regularly to a cloud service like Google Drive or iCloud.
- Enable the recycle bin feature on your Android device, if available.
- Be careful when deleting text messages. Make sure that you want to delete a message before you confirm the deletion.
- Give preference to messaging apps that have a Trash folder.
There are several ways to recover deleted text messages on Android for free. The best method for you will depend on your specific needs and the type of Android device that you have.
If you have tried the above methods and cannot recover your deleted text messages, you may need to contact a professional data recovery service. Professional data recovery services can recover data from even the most damaged or corrupted devices.
Here are some frequently asked questions about recovering deleted text messages on Android:
How long do deleted text messages stay on my phone?
Deleted text messages are typically stored on your device’s internal storage for a short period, usually a few days or weeks. After that, they are overwritten by new data.
Can I recover deleted text messages from a rooted phone?
You can recover deleted text messages from a rooted phone using a third-party data recovery app. However, rooting your phone can void its warranty and make it more vulnerable to security threats.
How do I prevent the loss of text messages in the future?
The best way to prevent the loss of text messages is to back them up regularly to a cloud service such as Google Drive or iCloud. You can also enable the recycle bin feature on your Android device if available. This will allow you to recover deleted messages for a limited period.